Pioneer Woman's Cauliflower Soup
For a printer friendly version click here.
- 1 stick Butter, Divided
- ½ whole Onion, Finely Diced
- 1 whole Carrot Finely Diced
- 1 stalk Celery, Finely Diced
- 1 whole (to 2 Whole) Cauliflower Heads (roughly Chopped)
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Or Dried Parsley (chopped)
- 2 quarts Low-sodium Chicken Broth Or Stock
- 6 Tablespoons All-purpose Flour
- 2 cups Whole Milk
- 1 cup Half-and-half
- 2 teaspoons To 4 Teaspoons Salt, To Taste
- 1 cup (heaping) Sour Cream, Room Temperature
- In a large soup pot or dutch oven, melt 4 tablespoons butter. Add the onion and cook for a few minutes, or until it starts to turn brown.
- Add the carrots and celery and cook an additional couple of minutes. Add cauliflower and parsley and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook over very low heat for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, pour in chicken stock or broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and allow to simmer.
- In a medium saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter. Mix the flour with the milk and whisk to combine. Add flour-milk mixture slowly to the butter, whisking constantly.
- Remove from heat and stir in 1 cup half-and-half. Add mixture to the simmering soup. Allow to simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Check seasoning and add more salt or pepper if necessary.
- Just before serving, place the sour cream in a serving bowl or soup tureen. Add two to three ladles of hot soup into the tureen and stir to combine with the sour cream. Pour in remaining soup and stir.
- Serve immediately.
- I also used my immersion blender, added a little more flour to thicken it and sprinkled in cayenne+salt+pepper+rosemary it was incredible.