It felt so good to "pay it forward" when I delivered a meal to family in my neighborhood this week who just had a baby. I'd seen this recipe for Bow Tie Fiesta on Erin of Blue Eyed Bride's blog. I made extra for us too, so I can vouch for it that it is a great meal!
Bow Tie Fiesta
For a printer-friendly version click here.
1 lb ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup sliced pitted ripe olives
1/2 cup sliced jalapeno pepper
1 cup salsa
1 cup sour cream
1 tomato, chopped
1. Brown ground beef in skillet, and while meat is browning, add onions and green pepper. Cook until onions are tender, but not browned.
2. Stir in tomato sauce, chili powder and salt.
3. Afterwards prepare pasta as directed on package, cooking about 15 minutes on fast boiling water, and drain.
4. Toss meat mixture, pasta, sour cream, salsa and tomato and spoon into greased 13X9 inch glass cooking pan, and sprinkle the top with cheese.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 30 minutes, and take out of oven.
I dropped it off with a green salad, dressing and dessert. The family has a 5 year-old also, so I kept the recipe kid friendly and skipped the chiles (which is something to consider if the mom is breastfeeding too). I included cute napkins, disposable utensils and brought the food over in throw away containers--all to make it as easy as possible for this family.
Here are a few other recipes I think would be great for anyone you'd like to bring a meal to:
- Mini Meatball Sandwiches bring the meatballs over in a separate container and include a side of rolls, the cheese, and a green salad. A fun dessert would be nice too!
- English Cottage Pie is great for a winter meal, as it's really hearty. It reheats well too! It has lots of veggies in it, so you don't really need to worry about a salad.
- Lasagna Cupcakes would be a great meal to bring also, since they reheat well and can be popped into the microwave for a quick meal or snack. We all know a quick and nutritious meal is paramount for new parents. Don't forget the french bread!
- Chicken Enchiladas with Salsa Verde is a always a big hit! You could include chips, salsa and a taco salad.
- Slow Cooker Beef Stew with Potato Dumplings was easy for me to make as a very new mom and could be simple to throw together if you're bringing a meal to a family during the week when you don't have a ton of time for extra cooking.