June 25, 2014
Pool Day Essentials
Summer is in full swing and we're spending many days each week poolside. Owen loves the water, and loves getting to play with the other children in the kiddie pool at our gym. I love that we get to be outside expending all of our energy before nap time! With all the time we spend swimming you'd think we'd be permanently waterlogged!
The things I pack for the pool change from year to year based on Owen's needs -- last year he was too small for floaties and didn't do much playing in the water--, but there are some essentials that are here to stay! (for at least another couple years!) So here are some of our favorite pool day essentials that we just can't swim without.
1. wet skin sunscreen spray - Since I can't get Owen out of the water without a huge fit, Wet Skin SPF is a MUST if I want to keep his fair skin protected. The big plus is that it's a spray too!
2. dive darter's fish - He's not afraid of dunking himself in the water and he loves to go swimming down to the floor (of the 1 foot deep kiddie pool) for his toys!
3. puddle jumper - Most of the time Owen is sans life jacket, since it's better for him to be aware of his capabilities. But when we go in a big pool or the pool is really busy, I feel better knowing he's extra safe.
4. rashguard - He hates wearing this shirt, but I make him. He'd hate a burn even more!
5. cloth swim diaper - These are required at our pool, and now I swear by them. No more 10lb water filled swim diaper.
6. swim trunks - I'm so glad I stocked up on multiple pairs this year since we're swimming day after day after day! There are some cute ones on sale at Old Navy!
7. keens - I swear by these shoes for Summer time! They give support, while also being waterproof and protecting their toes (unlike flip flops) -- and they're machine washable!
8. bucket hat - He loves wearing hats, and when we're in the hot sun it's a must for our blonde haired, blue-eyed boy.
9. wet bag - We recently got one of these in our Citrus Lane box and we love it! No more wet clothes soaking everything else in our bags!
Now I just need to designate a bag to be our pool bag and we'll be all set. I've been using a diaper bag as my gym / pool / diaper bag and the constant shuffling of all our stuff is driving me batty! When heading to the pool what do you always make sure to pack?