Meet the Sullivans: Day in the Life - Winter '15

January 28, 2015

Day in the Life - Winter '15

With this being O's first year in school I wanted to document what a typical day looks like on a day when I take him to school. This day just so happened to also be a day when I wasn't working in the class with him, so I ended up having some time to myself to get a few things done without my little helper in tow. It's been about 6 months since my last day in the life post, so it is definitely time for an update!

This day was Thursday, January 22nd 2015. Keith is 35 1/2, O just turned 3 and I'm 33.

4:00am - I hear O on the monitor calling for me sleepily. He sounds pretty groggy, so I decide to wait it out for a bit and he falls back asleep.

4:30am - He's calling for me, so I get out of bed and put on my rode (it's cold in the house at night) and head down stairs to grab him some milk in hopes it will help him go back to sleep. He's wet, so I change his clothes, wrap him in a blanket and we sit in the rocking chair together where he falls asleep drinking some milk.

I move him back to his bed and he wakes up as I put him down and asks me to tell him a story while holding onto my hand. I oblige and makes something up about Peter Pan and Captain Hook. He settles in and falls asleep, and I wait for a few minutes to make sure he's really out before slipping away.

5:20am - I cancel my original alarm on my FitBit that was set for 5:45am and go back to sleep.

6:00am - Keith's alarm goes off and wake us both up. I am determined to get more sleep, so I roll over.
6:50am - Owen is awake stirring around again, which is surprising since he has been sleeping later recently. I go get my coffee and come back up to bed to find him quiet. I give up on sleep and decide to check email, blog and watch the news.

7:20am - He finally seems awake enough, so I go into his room to get him. His hair is looking pretty wild, and although I love it, it make me think we should probably go get a haircut after school. I change him and we head into our room so he can have his milk. Keith gets home right about the same time from running and jumps in the shower. I tell him I'll need to shower when he is done.

7:45am - My turn to shower! And I actually make some time to put on make-up and wear real clothes that don't involve sweats.

8:15am - I get O dressed, pack his snack for school and pick up around the house while Keith and O play. We say goodbye to Keith and play for a few minutes and put on shoes before it's time to leave for school.

8:30am - We head out to the car and O is happy to get right in his seat. Usually there is some kind of tantrum, but today he's in a good mood.

8:50am - Arrive at school and find parking on the street. There is a small lot for the preschool, but it is always full. I have never managed to score a spot in there all year. I'm considering giving up trying. I change O's shirt real quick on the sidewalk because he dripped chocolate milk all down the front of it. We go inside and hang out and catch up with other kids and parents while we wait for Teacher Kim to open the door to the classroom.

9:00am - I check O in, he puts his snack in his cubby and I wipe his nose and say goodbye. He asks me to stay for two minutes, but I promise him I will be back to get him after "story time". He says "awright" and I go, and head to Target.

9:20am - My plan is to get milk, thank you notes and lettuce, but decide to browse a little too. I end up buying quite a few "extras" (bubbles, a toothbrush for O, thank you notes, frozen breakfast burritos for K, etc.), and one thing for me, a long sleeve t-shirt.

10:28 am - Load up all my stuff and finally have breakfast on my way to pick up O. I get to school a little early, so I park and walk around to earn myself some more steps on my FitBit for the day. I love my FitBit and it really encourages me to keep moving all day.

11:15am - I pick O up from school and he seems pretty tired. I love having freedom in these days (for 2 hours!), but I really miss knowing how the time went for him. I don't want to bother the other moms too much asking them how he did, and being 3 he can't tell me too much. 

11:40am - We go to get O's haircut. We wait for a few minutes in the playroom -- he loves it in there and rarely wants to leave that little room when it's time. He is always so good for the hair dressers. The woman, Carmen, asks him if he likes having his haircut and he tells her "Uh huh! I do, I love getting my haircut!".  Then afterward we head home!

12:10 pm - Come home and put lunch together for O. He has salami, tortilla, strawberries and cashews. I bring his food down to the carpet in the living room on a tray so he can eat while we play.

1:00 pm - Put O down for his nap. I start preping dinner. Tonight we're having Greek salads, so I chop all the veggies and make the dressing / marinade.

This dressing is a Greek Vinaigrette:

1/2 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice, 1/4 cup red wine vinegar, 1 cup olive oil, 2-3 cloves pressed or minced garlic, 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano, pinch of dried thyme, big pinch of salt and fresh ground pepper and a few tablespoons of crumbled feta. I put it in a mason jar shake it until it is all mixed and then keep it in the refrigerator until I'm ready to use it.
2:40 pm - Eat lunch and do a quick flip through EveryDay with Rachel Ray and O is up! Shorter nap today, for sure.

2:45 pm - I go get him from his crib and he's a little warm. I've been noticing him rubbing his chest and wincing a bit when he coughs. He's happy and doesn't seem too sick, but I call his doctor's office anyway to be sure. They tell us to come in in an hour to see one of the doctors. We kill some time playing pirates and then watch Miles from Tomorrowland on the ipad together.

3:45 pm - As much as O never wants to go to the doctor he sure seems to love it once we're there. He acts coy with the nurse as she takes his temperature and enjoys when the doctor shows him the stethoscope. Turns out he is 100% okay, which is a relief!

4:30 pm - We head home and O plays while I cook the chicken for our salad and prepare some of his dinner. This is usually when I let him watch a 20 minute show so I can cook dinner. He plays instead, but then I turn on a show after I'm done so I can get some other things done around the house.

5:33 pm - O and I color while he eats dinner.

6:00 pm - Keith arrives home from work and all O wants to do it play. He's not happy when Keith and I try to sit down for dinner, so Keith plays with him a little more, telling him he has five minutes. Time limits are working really well for us these days, especially when we can set a timer.

6:30 - Dinner for us. We're done with dinner early tonight and I've already cleaned up most of the mess in the kitchen, so we decide to go out for ice cream! 

7:15 pm - Dessert is a once a week thing these days, so I go big with a hot fudge sundae. Keith gets a cone and O decides to just have a little cup of gummy worms. He's not so into ice cream these days.

8:00 pm - We're home and changing O into pajamas. We read two stories, and then O requests to climb into his bed. We turn out the lights, turn on his stars and his iPod with stories on it -- he asks for Keith to stay with him for the first Curious George story. I'm usually the one he wants, but tonight he wanted Daddy! While they listen to the story I load and run the dishwasher.

8:40 pm - O is asleep and Keith and I hang out for a bit watching TV, on the computer, reading etc.

9:15 pm - I head up to bed and Keith stays up for a little while. I read until I can no longer keep my eyes open and then it's lights out for me!


Laura Keenan said...

Day in the life posts are some of my favorites, especially from SAHMs! This has me so excited for Liam to start preschool in the fall! I'm also jealous that you have Keith home with you for a bit in the morning. Conor is always gone before Liam wakes up!

Courtney Spena said...

I love these kind of posts! Reminds me that it has been a while since I wrote one....guess I should do that :)

Chelsea Williams said...

Wow what a busy day!!! I love it :)

NSark said...

Where did you find the stories for the ipod? That's genius!

Christina said...

I loved this post! The daily life of a Mom is so us other moms. :) I should do one of these soon!

Julie said...

I love posts like these! So awesome that you get a little bit of time to yourself while O is at school....and I'm sure he has a blast while he's there!

Jessica Scott said...

I love this! I am always interested how other moms "do it." It's so funny that each day can be so different - battles, naps, meals...I love knowing that we aren't the only ones who struggle with not knowing! What a full day you have, are super mom!!