Each January I go through decoration withdraw. The Christmas garland, lights and cheer are gone and we're stuck with the dreary winter weather and our standard home decor. I saw this cute idea somewhere (Pinterest, probably) for an easy DIY piece Valentine art work and wanted to recreate my own!
I bought all of my supplies at Michael's craft store and Jo-Ann Fabric, which included:
- 12x12 square canvas
- black acrylic paint
- painter's tape
- red burlap
- assorted red buttons
I used almost all of these buttons! I wanted to use a variety or red buttons in different patterns, shapes and finishes to give the heart some depth since the buttons would all be red.
For the final dry I left it out on the kitchen counter to dry while we went to San Francisco that morning for what was probably 4-5 hours, so it had plenty of time to dry, but my lines still did not come off clean. It didn't really bother me because I figure it gives the canvas a little extra character and contributes to the endearing imperfection of the poorly space lines -- no?
I made a heart-shaped template a few times to get the shape of the heart I wanted and tested it against the lines on the canvas to make sure it looked right with the line spacing. This one was the winner! Then I traced the shape onto the red burlap using a pen and cut out my shape.
Now comes the semi-tedious part. I'm wondering now if hot glue was the best choice, because it provided me some major frustrations, but it worked out in the end and my buttons are staying glued, so I'm happy.
I started by laying out my buttons so they were easy to grab and deciding to start by "framing" the heart with buttons and then working my way in so as to maximize space and get them as close together as possible. I would make a small line of hot glue and then quickly lay the buttons down carefully onto the glue. Careful though, the glue comes up through the holes!
The hot glue makes little strings, which annoyed me and annoyed me even more when I had to pick them all off in the end (the strings). And it leaks through the burlap and caused it to stick to whatever was beneath it (cardboard, parchment paper, everything I tried), so in the end my solution was to just move the heart around a bit to keep it from drying completely onto the surface below it.
I'm really happy with how this little project turned out! I don't usually get the outcome I've envisioned when I'm crafting something, but this turned out even better than I thought it would. I think this could be a cute thing to make in different colors, shapes and with various media for other holidays as well. It's a great little pop of toddler proof (i.e. not breakable) Valentine's decor for our family room!