Meet the Sullivans: Day in the Life: January 2018

January 18, 2018

Day in the Life: January 2018

Hey friends! It's been a while since I've documented what a day in our life is like, so for the sake of my own memories I thought it would be fun to do one. These days of our life, when our kids are so little and sweet (and we're exhausted) are the BEST. I want to remember them forever!

This was Thursday, January 11th 2018. I'm 36, Keith is 38, Owen is almost 6 and Luke is 2.

6am Luke has been waking up super early these days. On this day he had me up at 4:45am, but then he fell back to sleep in my arms on the couch. Instead of transferring him back to his crib and risk waking him I decide to just sit and read my book, The Secrets She Keeps. Eventually by 6am he's up so I make coffee for me and a bottle of milk for him and I let him watch an episode of Puppy Dog Pals, because this could be the only peace we have all day.

6:07am Owen wakes up and comes down stairs and goes straight into the toy room to say good morning to his new pet fish, Hunter and Pepper. He named them himself! 

6:30am I make breakfast for the boys (toaster waffles, peanut butter, fruit) and pack Owen's snack for school. Sunflower Butter sandwich, grapes, cutie, pretzels and gummy vitamins. We used the Spencer Bento containers from PBK. Some days he'll eat the entire snack and other days he eats about half of it. His Kindergarten is only half-day, but he eats breakfast at 6:30 and he's at school until about 12:30pm, so he needs a big snack.

7am Luke pretty much always wants to sit in Keith's lap while he eats breakfast and steal bites. How could anyone turn down such a cute little cereal thief!

7:10am We say good-bye to Keith and head up stairs to get everyone dressed for the day. We're heading to the gym so I just put on my Color Correcting Tinted Moisturizer and LipSense lip balm. I'm obsessed with both of these products! The moisturizer takes away any redness and evens out my skin tone just enough so I look normal while not looking like I'm wearing a full face to the gym. 

7:55am We make it to school right on time for the first bell. I've got to applaud us for that because 80% of the time we're running to the classroom a few minutes late.

8:10am Luke and arrive at the gym. I fit in a 20 minute arch trainer workout and 20 minutes of weights before being summonsed back to the childcare for Luke. I never know how long he'll last in there before they call me to come get him. On this day he waltzed right into play, but 40 minutes later he was DONE and wanted to go home.

Turns out he was really tired, because he fell asleep on the way home from the gym.

9:30am With Luke sleeping and Owen at school I get to do one of my favorite things ... take a shower and get ready and dressed for the day in complete peace and quiet! 

After taking my time to get ready I had about 20 minute to fold a few baskets of laundry before Luke was up again. I try to start a load of laundry every morning and then have it folded and put away by bedtime. Some weeks this works really well at keeping me from falling too far behind on the laundry.

11am Luke wakes up! He almost never wakes up happy, poor guy. We make lunch for him (Annie's four cheese mac n cheese, and grapes), and pack Owen a lunch, since we have an errand to run. 

12:25pm We pick up Owen from school and Owen eats in the car while we swing by my sister's office to pick her up. She had he car serviced and needed a ride to pick it up. It's an excuse to see Aunt Dinny and catch up for a few minutes on the drive to Burlingame.

1:20pm After dropping her off we head to the party store to get supplies for Owen's birthday party that's coming up. Does anyone else agree that party stores are SO overpriced? I tried to limit what we purchased, but we still spent about $45 on streamers, confetti and party favors. 

2pm After hitting up the fabric store for tule to tie up the favors with we head home for some down time. We watch a show, play with toys and do some chores around the house

4:00pm We head to the park down the street to burn off some energy! Luke wants to play catch or in the sand and Owen wants me to be the "lava monster" and chase him. After a detour through the gardens we head home to make dinner.

5:35pm I make this dinner (Chicken Drumsticks with Roast Chickpeas) a lot these days because it is one of the only nutritious meals (read: not hot dogs, fries or pizza) that everyone in my family will actually eat! It's also pretty fast and easy. The recipe says to marinate it overnight or for a few hours, but I've been skipping that step lately. 

On this night I rinsed two cans of chickpeas, a big container of cherry tomatoes, and tossed them with some salt and olive oil. Put the drumsticks on top and drizzle a little more olive oil, sprinkle a little more salt and a little of the herbes de provence seasoning. 50 minutes later...

6:20pm Dinner is ready and Keith is home! I sauteed a little spinach with olive oil, garlic and sea salt to serve on the side. Luke LOVED the spinach, which was exciting. Owen requested a "blocker" so as not to have to see our beans or spinach, but he did eat all of his chicken and carrots.

7pm This is when things get busy with the hustle to clean up dinner and dishes etc., while also keeping the kids entertained and catch up with Keith. We try to get them upstairs for a bath soon after dinner is cleaned up. We did bath time, stories and then lights out by 8pm. Right now we're trying to get Luke to fall asleep in his crib with me laying on the floor next to him. On this night it worked! I really don't mind this at all as long as I can read my book while he dozes off.

8pm The kids are finally asleep so we hang out for a little talking, watching some TV and reading before we head to bed too.

So that's a typical school day / night for us these days! Thanks for reading! xoxo

You can see past Day in the Life posts here!

No comments: